Free Tax Prep in 2023
Our volunteer tax preparers will prepare your federal and state tax returns at no cost for households with an income of less than $60,000. VITA brings in millions of dollars to the local community — dollars to help residents jumpstart their savings, reduce debt and invest in our community. Tax prep options include in-person, drive-in, drop off and free self-file. If you have a general tax question or need help with self-file, schedule an “Ask a Tax Question” appointment. Click the link below to make an appointment or call 2-1-1.
Required Documents FOR YOUR TAX APPOINTMENT
- Photo ID for yourself and your spouse, if filing jointly*
- Social Security number for you, your spouse, and any dependents. Acceptable documents include:
- Social Security Card
- Social Security verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration
- Social Security income statement
- Income documentation (W-2, 1099, Social Security Benefit Statement, etc) for the previous year
- Expense documentation if applicable e.g. mileage and self-employment related expenses
- 1095 Health Coverage Form
- Copies of the previous year’s federal and state tax returns, if available
- Bank routing and account numbers for direct deposit (a voided check is acceptable)
- If you don’t have a bank account and want your refund faster, contact United Way.
*Your spouse must be available to sign off on required forms if filing jointly.
TAX PREPARATION OPTIONS
In-person appointments are offered in the evening at the FEC at 1060 Kenmore Blvd, on Mondays from 9am-1pm at United Way’s Medina County Office and at select dates and times at Family Resource Centers. Clients will arrive at their scheduled time and location with their required documents, complete intake forms and be assigned to a tax preparer. The process will take approximately 60-90 minutes depending on the complexity of the return.
This appointment type is offered on weekdays and Saturdays and will take approximately 2 hours. Clients come into the FEC at 1060 Kenmore Blvd with their required documents to complete their intake forms & interview. After completing the intake interview, clients will return to their vehicles and wait, or run an errand while their taxes are prepared. Clients will be contacted within 2 hours to come back to the office and review their finalized return.
Clients come into the FEC at 1060 Kenmore Blvd with their required documents and identification, and complete their intake forms and interview which will take approximately 15-30 minutes. Clients will be contacted within 5 days to review, sign and have their return electronically submitted.
Facilitated Self-Assistance (SELF FILE)
If your household makes less than $60,000 and you would like to file your own tax return, we can provide you with free access to TaxSlayer, an online tax software, to file your federal and state returns yourself at no cost. Due to IRS restrictions, we cannot post this link publicly, but if you email us at [email protected], we will send you the access information.
Additionally, if you have questions as you are completing your tax return, you can email [email protected] or call 2-1-1 to Schedule an “Ask a Tax Question” call with one of our experts.
OUT-OF-SCOPE TAX RETURNS
Our tax preparers are certified to prepare a variety of tax returns, including Schedule Cs, itemized returns, and Schedule Ds. However, due to IRS regulations for VITA sites, we are unable to prepare tax returns with the following characteristics.
- Rental property income or expenses
Farm income and farm rental income
Foreign earned income or foreign tax credit
- Minister tax returns with parsonage/housing allowance
- Taxpayers with dual citizenship
- Taxpayers who have transactions using Bitcoins or other virtual currencies
- Schedule C with:
- Business use of home
- Net losses
- Expenses for employees or contract labor
- Cost of goods sold (inventory)